Pages

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

reconsidering: neutrals


edc top, from sis
Jolt pants, Macy's
Fossil key necklace, Nordstrom Rack
bubble necklace, InPink
belt, from dress

       This was an outfit that I've been eager to recreate since I first wore it for lunch over Christmas break. I'm not much for neutrals, normally, but I like the mix of charcoal gray, black and cognac. I wasn't sure about the cognac belt the first time around. However, I like that it's a lighter color, and I tried to tie it into the outfit with some bracelets.The sparkly little details - the beading on the top, the layered necklaces, the bracelets -- also add some texture and interest to what could be a very plain outfit.

     I'd been on the lookout for a pair of slim-fitting black pants for a while when I serendipitously found this pair in the junior's department. I had to size up to accommodate my massive thighs - a problem that Aya refers to as wushu legs. That means a belt is necessary, but they're cute and otherwise well-fitting.  Another candidate for the alterations pile that I likely won't tackle until the school year ends ...
     Random bits of goodness from the last week or so:
  •    During my students' P.E. lesson, I jumped in and practiced kicking a soccer ball with my girls. I am the least athletic person around, but I have to admit it was fun. 
  • On Monday I got back into running during morning recess. I sat out Mileage Club in January due to illness, so it was nice to get out there! I am not a fast runner, but I'm proud of myself for managing to run/walk three-quarters of a mile in less than 15 minutes. I'm the only teacher out there running along with the kids, but the kids seem to enjoy seeing me huffing and puffing alongside them! As I write this, my legs still hurt, but I'm looking forward to today's run.
  • I'm currently reading "The Holographic Universe" by Talbot. Someone in my meditation class lent it to me, and it's definitely intriguing. I also finished "Winger" by Smith and am working on Roorbach's "Life Among Giants."
  • I've learned to enjoy logging into my Mint account and tracking my transactions and purchases. It's oddly satisfying to see the little bar graphs comparing current spending to my monthly budget. I'm also trying to switch to doing more cash purchases vs. credit card transactions, in an attempt to rein in spending and limit new debt.
  • I've spent $14.64 so far of my February clothing budget. I hope that since it's a short month, I can come in under budget again!    

6 comments:

  1. This is SO CUTE. I love that top. I dress in almost only neutrals so I am pretty boring I guess. Don't care, they're my absolute fave. Also I tried to get into mint and couldn't do it...but I think I'll give it a second chance. Once, you know, I get a job...and a bank account...and all that other stuff I don't have...lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is a very cool outfit! have a great valentine's day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Mark! I had a very nice Valentine's Day, both with my kiddos at school and at home. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! I think neutrals can be very elegant and interesting, but I find bright colors easier to work with, usually. :) I had a similar experience with mint at first ... I set it up quite a while back, didn't use it, then got into it lately. It's not perfect, but I do think it helps me stay on budget.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is actually my favorite neutral color combo: gray and cognac look really sophisticated together. I'm not that big of a fan of neutrals normally, but I've really been feeling the minimal and pared-down look lately, and this is the perfect inspiration.

    Brittney

    http://www.anotherbeautifulthing.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been obsessed with gray lately. I've never thought it was an interesting color before, but I like how it has all these gradations and how it can be a softer look than black. I think I need a little more cognac in my wardrobe, too. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I love comments, so please leave one if you like. :)