Pages

Sunday, March 2, 2014

February purchases: homebody superpowers

   Cha Cha Vente drapey gray top and Old Navy floral top, Savers, $14.64
    I've been really liking drapey tops lately, to the point where I'm not wearing my fitted t-shirts much. And gray is a color I've been feeling a surprising affinity for, as well. I usually try to steer clear of "cheap" brands like Old Navy at thrift stores, but the print and color of this top were irresistible.

   Wood and gem bracelet from local boutique, $13.60
  I own piles and piles of bracelets, so it's not as if I "needed" this one. However, since I do wear bracelets everyday, I thought this would be a fun addition to my daily wrist stack. I also liked the idea of supporting local artists and stores.
 
 Total spent: $28.24
Remaining budget (out of $50): $21.76

     Woo-hoo! Under budget for a second month! I've figured out the secret to staying under budget ... stay home. I've cut back on those impulse "let's pop into Ross/Macy's/Nordstrom Rack and see what they have" shopping trips on the weekends, in favor of a quiet Sunday at home doing some much-needed cleaning and organizing.  I've also reduced my visits to thrift stores, since the temptation to snap up something cute because it won't be there the next time is hard for me to overcome.

2 comments:

  1. Aya in CouturgatoryMarch 3, 2014 at 9:24 PM

    I was doing quite well for February ($40/month budget, here) but I got all stressed out and depressed about my move and told myself that I wouldn't be able to take advantage of Bay Area thrift stores in the future, so I ended up slightly over.

    Ah, well. Do you count exercise gear and basics like socks/undergarments in your clothes budget?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good question, Aya! I haven't been strictly budgeting until this year *ahem* but I would consider exercise gear/socks/undergarments as essentials and I'd put aside a set amount for those items on a yearly basis. I'd consider that my "needs" budget and the $50/month as my "wants" budget.
    Moving can be stressful! I hope you enjoyed your thrifting. :) I think of budgets like rules - while they're meant to be followed most of the time, an occasional indulgence can be OK.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I love comments, so please leave one if you like. :)