Pages

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

literary stylings link party: "The Ugly Duckling"


Calvin Klein Jeans tee, Macy's
skirt, India
necklace, Forever 21
feather brooch, eBay

          I've been reading a lot of books lately, but when Gracey's post about her literary stylings link party popped up, the first thing that came to mind was Hans Christian Andersen's story "The Ugly Duckling." Probably because I feel a little guilty for memorizing it for storytelling class about a year ago, then forgetting it. In my defense, it runs more than 20 minutes long.

      
        I put together my gray top (rescued from the donation pile recently) and white skirt because the ugly duckling is gray when he's born, then turns white as he (unknowingly) transforms into a swan. This brooch didn't make it into my wedding bouquet (I ended up going with gold-tone brooches/earrings instead), but that's a good thing, because it made the perfect addition for my necklace.

          Clarissa Pinkola Estes (who's on my to-read list), in her book "Women Who Run with the Wolves," calls this classic tale a "root story, or "one that contains a truth so fundamental to human development that without integration of this fact further progression is shaky, and one cannot entirely prosper psychologically until this point is realized." (quote taken from here)

      
         This is definitely not a typical outfit for me, but it was so much fun to wear, particularly the floaty, twirly skirt. :)
         Check out the literary stylings link party here!

8 comments:

  1. Cool! And the t-shirt is like the Ugly Duckling, too, b/c it was saved from the donations pile! :)


    Jen @ Librarian for Life & Style

    ReplyDelete
  2. love a little t with a skirt and how great is that embroidery on your skirt!
    Brett

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Brett! What's fun about India is that everything is heavily embellished. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Jen! Good point about the gray tee. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a neat twist on the idea! Also, you should probably send me that necklace FOR IMPORTANT REASONS. As in, it's pretty and I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha - best reason ever. :) You're so creative, I bet you could craft your own version that would make mine look like the cheapy little necklace it is!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous. Love the outfit, love the post. And love that you referenced "Women Who Run With Wolves;" it's one of my favorites and, I think, a very important book. Also, if you don't send Erin that necklace, you can send it my way. For EVEN MORE IMPORTANT REASONS. And, I have a question; how do you attach your brooches to your necklaces? I tried the other day and was not at all successful. It made me sad.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Gracey! I hope I can squeeze "Women Who Run with Wolves" in for summer reading. I still maintain that jewelry-maker extraordinaire Erin can whip up a necklace look-alike that will leave mine in the dust! And then she should make one for you, too. ;)
    Hmm, I just threaded my brooch through the chain. I'm still perfecting my technique - the brooches tend to flip over, and I need to experiment with ways to keep them in place. I'll post a detail photo then next time I add a brooch to a necklace!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I love comments, so please leave one if you like. :)