Pages

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

habits, both ways

chaudry maxi dress green purple print summer style
Chaudry dress, Ross

    Some days, all I need is a good dress.  I wore this on Sunday to take my dad out for sushi. I have a bad habit of buying pretty maxi dresses, then hardly wearing them because I somehow feel that they're too fancy. But I've vowed to break the habit, starting with this dress. It's too wonderful to not wear regularly - it's cotton with a cotton lining (so hard to find!) as well as just the right length off the rack (a delightful surprise when you're 5 feet tall). I plan to wear it to work, on the weekends, and every chance I get. 


    Speaking of habits, I'm reveling in my usual summer routine - early-morning aikido two times a week, lots of reading, and lots of crafting. Every summer I try to learn a new sewing skill, and this summer I learned how to piece together a baby quilt. The next step is to machine quilt and finish the edges. I really enjoyed the piecing together, but am a little worried about how the quilting's going to go.  It just occurred to me today that maybe I should have gone through the process of making a quilt with a much smaller project (say, a potholder) vs. plunging in with something that's meant to be a gift.  Oh, well, live and learn ...
    Here's what else I've been up to this summer, according to Instagram (my username is indigoblu3 if you'd like to be friends):

 

 I own way too much fabric (I have this bad habit of buying 5 yards at a time if I see a fabric I like), so some stashbusting was in order. I made myself three new pairs of PJ/lounge shorts. These might make cute Christmas gifts - just buy a tee in a matching color to make a set.

     I bought a book on Zentangles a while back, because it sounded like an easy way to incorporate creativity into my daily routine. This summer my goal is to draw one a day. This one was inspired by a discussion at meditation class - one of the regular students said that he hasn't really noticed any big changes or benefits, but that Zen is really about having the experience vs. hoping to benefit in some tangible way.
    What have you been up to lately? 

10 comments:

  1. Pretty dress. Glad your Summer is going well. I want to learn how to sew. The newest dress on my blog is handmade, although not by me. There's something really cool about handmade clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely gorgeous dress. You should definitely wear it more often. Maxis are banned from my closet because I'm too clumsy. You look so tall and elegant!


    Also added you on instagram. Still working on learning that app, but I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my freak. this one too! dang you and your ross steals!!!! This dress looks majestic. And not in a "why is she so dressy" way, but in a "SHE'S BEEEEEEEEAUUTIFULL" way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I rarely buy maxi dresses because I also feel they're too fancy for everyday. It's so silly because I envy them on other people. Your dress is stunning!

    http://bedknobsandbaubles.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for dropping by, Jessica! I'm hoping to break the habit of saving maxi dresses for special occasions... wish me luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww, thanks, lady! The Ross dress section is awash in polyester but every once in a while I luck out and find a pretty cotton dress.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am a klutz too (embarrassing to admit when I have a black belt, but unfortunately true) and this dress works for me because it hits about ankle length, which means I am less likely to trip on the hem and go flying.
    I just added you on Instagram! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That dress is gorgeous, Ally! At the thrift store I've come across handmade clothes and it's always fun to wonder about who made them and wore them. Sewing is so much fun - I think you would really enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my! I LOVE that maxi dress! All boho gorgeous!


    You need to start thinking of maxi dresses as nightgowns (I know those were probably before your time) but they are just like them really and just as comfy.


    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooh, I like your idea, Suzanne! Thinking about maxis as nightgowns could help me see this dress as a throw-it-on-and-go piece vs. something to save for special occasions.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I love comments, so please leave one if you like. :)