Pages

Friday, January 31, 2014

missing syllables

top, Calvin Klein Outlet
Calvin Klein petite jeans, Ross (birthday present to myself)
Banana Republic cardigan, from mom

    I bought myself a new pair of jeans as a birthday present, and I'm still figuring out whether I like them. I wish the waist was a bit smaller, since the legs are so fitted and stretchy that they tend to slide down a bit. (Does that make sense? I don't quite know how to explain it, but that's what it feels like when I'm wearing them). Anyhow, hitching up my pants in front of 25 fourth-graders is not going to happen, so for this outfit I settled for pairing it with a longer top. I did like these pants better the second time I wore them, compared to the first. I also have to admit, I really like the way they look in the above photo. They make me look long and lean, which is a feat when you are about 5 feet tall.

     On Tuesday afternoon, my colleague and I decided to combine our classes for a showing of a Magic School Bus video on cells, then have some guided discussion.
    During the discussion, I asked the students, "What is the scientific name for living things?" One of my students had her hand up, so I called on her, and she proudly announced .... well, let's say that she didn't say organisms. But if take out the "ni" in that word, you'll know what she said. ; ) All I could say was, "Well, I think your word is missing a syllable. Anyone else know the scientific word?"
     Keeping up with 25 fourth-graders is a lot of work, but they can be extremely entertaining at times!

8 comments:

  1. Ha! That's so cute. Fourth grade is when kids have some knowledge but not enough to truly understand things, which can lead to examples of this type of humor.
    I doubt you're old enough to remember this but there was a popular TV show on when I was young called "Kids Say The Darnedest Things", with Art Linklater. It was often hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to LOOOOVE magic school bus! Okay, maybe I still do!

    On the jeans issue, I've gotten jeans tailored to fit me better at the waist and it works WAY better than trying to make it work with a belt or pulling them up all the time! They look like a great fit otherwise though, so happy birthday to you!

    dash dot dotty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy bday to you :) This looks great and I can see you are accessorizing a whole lot more :)


    katattack2000.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, dotty! I think I will look into taking the pants in at the waist.It's a small change that I think will make a big difference! I love Magic School Bus, too ... it's packed with info and it's a very engaging way to teach science to kids!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for dropping by, Ally! I've seen snippets of Linklater's show. :) (Random thought - Since you posted on Richard Linklater's films recently, now I'm wondering whether they're related ...?)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wondered that myself, so I looked it up. No, they aren't related -- and I misspelled Art's last name. He spelled it Linkletter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for clearing up the mystery! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I second what Dotty said- you may have the same "wushu problem" my friends and I talk about. We all get our jeans to fit our legs well, then get the waists taken in. Go quads!


    I never thought of using a watch to hold bracelets up on my arms before. I'm guessing you have the same 6" wrist problem I do, so bangles and other presized bracelets slide down to your thumbs? This is genius! I keep learning stuff on your blog.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I love comments, so please leave one if you like. :)