Pages

Friday, November 8, 2013

yellow and gray and poorly dressed heroines



tee, Gap
INC skirt, Macy's
manaia necklace, Seattle craft fair
rhodium door hinge bracelet, Iolani Palace
    This tee always garners me a compliment or two when I wear it, so it was well worth the $4.19 that it cost me on sale at Gap. :) I still don't wear my maxi dresses enough, so I'm not sure why I decided a maxi skirt would be a wise addition to my closet.  Rationalization time: I needed more work-appropriate bottoms, stripes are just about a neutral in my style book, and gray is a nice change of pace from the usual denim and black. It is also very comfortable, although it did get a bit warm toward the end of the day.
   To keep the focus on the color combination, I accessorized simply with a minimalist necklace and my favorite ornate bracelet.
    Random reading commentary: I'm almost finished with Kittredge's "The Iron Thorn," which I picked up because it was on YALSA's Readers' Choice 2012 list. It's a light, diverting read, and I like the steampunk-ish setting, although the characterization doesn't really captivate me. However, the heroine Aoife is daring and determined. The one thing that irked me about the book is the poor cover illustration. This is what my library copy looks like:

     But in actuality, Aoife is the only girl attending the School of Engines. She's mechanically inclined, with deft hands and eyes. There are several mentions of her school uniform, but somehow I can't buy that the billowy, off-the-shoulder top that the girl on the cover is wearing would be practical for working with engines. To soothe my cognitive dissonance, I like to picture that Aoife dresses like Aya of Couturgatory - this outfit and this one seem much more practical for engine-tinkering. Thanks, Aya, for helping me deal with that poorly chosen cover! ;)
   P.S. That harness that Aya's wearing in the first link? Put me down as intrigued ...  it's not something that I would have even given a second thought to before, but Aya wears it so wonderfully.

8 comments:

  1. The maxi looks great on you ;)

    katattack2000.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, thanks for the shout-out! I am so flattered. :D


    Man, cover art that is totally unrelated to the book seems to be the norm rather than the exception. I suspect either that cover artists get vague instructions "Steampunk fantasy girl" without actual character descriptions, or there are pre-made art pieces that you license much cheaper than getting custom art done.


    ... or maybe they caught her in the middle of a costume change while she's participating in a school drama production. Outdoors. At dusk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely love the color of your shirt! It's so bright and cheerful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Joanne! I've always avoided yellow, but this shirt is a new favorite. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Kat! I'm hoping to make good use of this maxi - it's a nice change of pace from pants or knee-length skirts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, how did I miss the chapter with the outdoor school drama production? ;) That explains everything.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The grey and yellow color combination is so sweet! Love that maxi skirt! :D


    Jen @ Librarian for Life & Style
    http://librarianforlifestyle.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Jen! Yellow and gray are colors I've never really liked before, but I'm changing my mind - they go so well together. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I love comments, so please leave one if you like. :)