Pages

Monday, October 7, 2013

not falling for it


shirt, TeeFury
Halogen skirt, Nordstrom Rack
scarf, Groopdealz

      Blogs and Instagram have been awash recently with chatter about pumpkin-flavored-sweater-wearing-boot-donning everything. It's been hot, steamy, and a bit stormy around here, so it's not something I can relate to.
      Something about October that I can relate to is that Halloween is around the corner. I've decided on a Halloween costume, but it will entail sewing an aviator cap and thrifting a pair of overalls. I suppose I could take the easy way out and buy an aviator cap, but I don't like the idea of spending money on something that wouldn't be used later. (Although you could turn that around and say I'd be wasting valuable time sewing something for one-time use.) I'll probably make the cap out of cotton vs. pleather -- breathable fabrics are a must in this climate! 
      Last week was Spirit Week at work, so I wore my best PJs to work on Monday and this loud outfit on Tuesday. It was Mix and Match Day, and some kids went all out - wearing two different shoes, having a pigtail on one side of their heads and a bun on the other, etc. I'm a little shy about pattern mixing at work, but I did get a compliment that this was "chic." I ditched the scarf on my desk about an hour into the day, because it was just too humid and warm.
  
  
     Today kicks off my first official day of a long-awaited fall break! I plan on going in to work a day or two, because my room is in dire need of reorganizing and I'm meeting with colleagues. The weekend was pretty blissful - it was so freeing to enjoy Saturday and Sunday without having to prep for Monday. For this week I hope to do some reading, finish up a few crafts projects, catch an early-morning aikido class, do some work stuff and run errands, and get my Halloween costume ready.

7 comments:

  1. I love your shirt!! So very awesome. I love this whole black and white pattern mixing you've got going on, and if I had the ovaries, I would totally wear something like this on a normal day. Particularly if I had this shirt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on making your own costume. That's what everyone should do, but too many are too lazy. Like the skirt here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love this whimsical look
    brett

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ally - fingers crossed that the cap comes together easily! I've never sewn any kind of headgear. Also, because I won't be working with the usual materials (pleather or leather), I'll have to figure out a way to get the cap to hold its shape.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ElleSees.blogspot.comOctober 9, 2013 at 4:51 AM

    it's been super hot there, but luckily the mornings have been cool. i'll take it. but really i wanna wear my scarves!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm looking forward to scarf weather too. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I love comments, so please leave one if you like. :)