Pages

Monday, December 24, 2012

happy Monday, vol. 36

3 things that are making me happy lately ...
1. A weekend full of time with family and friends.
                                                                                           Source: amazon.com via Carrie on Pinterest

2. Time to read. I finished two books this week, which is a rarity when school is in session. One of the books I finished this week was Francesca Lia Block's "The Elementals." I took a YA lit class this summer, and chose to focus my author presentation on Block. Thus, I've caught up on her more recent work, such as "The Frenzy," "Pretty Dead," and "Pink Smog." This book outshone them all. While the first three aforementioned books had me worried that Block had lost her touch for weaving magic in urban settings, "The Elementals" reassured me that Block's skills as a writer have only grown. The main character is Ariel, a college freshman who is dealing with her friend Jeni's disappearance and her mother's fight against cancer. Ariel is lonely and adrift, and one day her drifting takes her to a beautiful house in the hills. Its inhabitants feed her delicious food, dress her in silk, and make her hunger for their company. But such enchantment always comes with a price ...
3. Sleep. Lots of sleep. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I love comments, so please leave one if you like. :)