Pages

Friday, July 5, 2013

a professionally dressed Cyclops

dress, Forever 21
Gap belt, thrifted
earrings, gift - Thai market in Seattle

      On July 4, my husband and I have a habit of heading to the shore to watch the fireworks. This year, however, we decided to not join the masses (there were reportedly 50,000 people at the beach park) for Fourth of July fireworks-viewing. We could see most of the fireworks from home, anyhow, and neither of us felt up to wading through throngs of people and dealing with the sticky weather when we had wine and air-conditioning at home. :)
    



        Today, I had somewhere to go, and I needed to be dressed professionally. I had spent last night before fretting about my lack of a professional closed-toe shoe and professional clothing, and wished I had taken the time to polish my toenails. I settled on my DVF dress as the most professional thing I owned, then bustled around, applying a little makeup and pulling my hair back neatly. I decided to wear my contacts, and  popped them in before leaving.
      When I got home, I decided to take my contacts out to give my eyes a rest. The right side came out easily enough, but the left one was not coming out - to the point that my eye was starting to water and smart. After examining my eye close up in the mirror, I began to wonder whether I even had a contact on. A quick rummage through the rubbish confirmed that I had left the house with only one contact - I found the left contact, crumpled and clinging to the container. I'm not new to  wearing contacts - I wore contacts throughout college - but I think this is the first time I've left the house only wearing one side! There's a first time for everything, I suppose. o.O
      Hope your weekend is less baffling!

10 comments:

  1. What an odd story about your contact! Your outfit is cute, especially with the way you tie the belt. Nice style.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great dress! What a wonderful outfit for the 4th!
    sweetenedstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ow! You made my eye water with that story! I don't blame you for staying home for fireworks! 50,000 people would make me a nervous wreck... Sean didn't even want to see fireworks, so we got to stay home- it was great :)
    Love this outfit- perfect for the 4th, but also perfect for anytime!

    ReplyDelete
  4. only one side? wow, do you feel dizzy? nice dress, btw. u look great on it :) xx

    http://duniakecilindi.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Ally! Yes, that was a weird story ... I think I've learned to not wear my contacts when I'm preparing for a stressful situation.

    One of my (many) weaknesses at Goodwill is the belts section - so many pretty ones for great prices. I picked up a rather outlandish '80s belt on my last trip, still trying to figure out how to style it ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Faith! I don't usually wear red, white and blue for the 4th but I really like how this came together.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Katie - it is crazy. They allow people to camp out at the beach park the night before, so the crowd starts building early! I thought I'd miss seeing the fireworks on the beach but it was so much comfier at home.
    I've never been able to figure out how to style this belt, but I think I will definitely pair it with this dress again - I like the color combo and doubled-up stripes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought things looked less clear, but I didn't have any problems driving (thankfully!)
    Juniors' dresses are hit or miss - they're usually a little shorter than I like - but this one was a lucky find. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Woo-hoo, pattern-mixing stripes! I love ribbon belts like that. And sorry to hear about your one-eyed adventure... but it makes for a great story! ;)


    Jen @ Librarian for Life & Style

    ReplyDelete
  10. The only thing better than stripes is doubled-up stripes! And now I'm wondering whether I should just stick to glasses ... :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I love comments, so please leave one if you like. :)