Pages

Monday, October 22, 2012

happy Monday, vol. 28: books & Bruno

3 things that are making me happy lately ...


1. Bruno Mars (again).


2. A film adaptation of "Great Expectations" is coming out Nov. 30! At that time I'll probably be wading through piles of end-of-semester work, but I might just have to MAKE the time to see this. I just started reading Dickens a year or two ago - would you believe that the Mr. is a nonreader, yet he had a battered copy of "David Copperfield" lying around his house, thanks to a former roomie? One day I picked it up on a whim (it looked more interesting than the animal husbandry tomes) and really enjoyed it.
    The only reason I found out about this film is that I read this, which also mentions a recent version of "Wuthering Heights" that I'd be interested in seeing. While I had a deep attachment to Charlotte Bronte's "Villette" for much of my 20s,  I'm not as familiar with the Brontes' other works. Which means I have to reread "Wuthering Heights" before I see the film, right?

via



3. I just finished John Green's "Paper Towns," after hearing it booktalked wonderfully during this summer's YA lit class and also lauded by the teacher, who is a diehard John Green fan and considers "The Fault in Our Stars" her current favorite.. It took me a while to finish it due to schoolwork, not lack of interest (dratted schoolwork!). I love how it's an extended examination of how we see people and how our own wishes and desires can blind us to who they really are. This novel reminded me of the work of Chris Crutcher (another YA author I discovered this year), primarily because both writers do such a wonderful job of creating well-written, thought-provoking books.

4 comments:

  1. John Green is from my hometown of Birmingham, Alabama, and the school in Paper Towns is based on a very exclusive private school down here. I have a friend who's son just started at the private school in the fall and forbade him from reading Paper Towns because of the school shenanigans! Of course, he read it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun fact, Katie! I didn't know that! :)
    The fastest way to get a kid interested in something is by banning it ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Chris Crutcher! I have several of his books. I'm strictly a Jane Eyre girl myself, as you know. And Wuthering Heights makes me want to slap someone - way too emo for me. The only depressing fiction I like to read is poetry. If I want depressing, I'll read non-fic or just watch the news!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Erin - I read "Staying Fat for Sarah Byrnes" over the summer and really enjoyed it. I haven't read Jane Eyre in years - adding that to my to-reread list. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I love comments, so please leave one if you like. :)